Friday, April 10, 2009

Ultimate Leftover Meal

Sadly, on the east coast, we're still showing signs of winter. And mark my words, I'm none too happy about it. However, it does give me the chance to pull out at least one more wintry comfort food at Lightbulb Cuisine. And today, it's shepherd's pie! Scrumptious!

As part of my must-have items, I mentioned tossing leftover meats into the freezer for later use. This recipe is perfect for leftover ground beef. Additionally, you can get rid of those leftover mashed potatoes and little bowls of assorted veggies. So grab your leftovers, and let's start cooking!

For shepherd's pie, you will need:
  • 2 Tbsp. ground beef
  • 2 Tsp. cream soup (I prefer cream of celery or onion)
  • Sauteed onion or onion powder
  • Leftover veggies (I like corn and string beans)
  • 2 Tbsp. mashed potatoes
  • Grated cheddar cheese
Preheat oven for 15 minutes. Grease pan. In a bowl, mix beef and soup. Spread in pan. Layer on veggies, onion or powder, potatoes and grated cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Cheese should be nicely melted and the potatoes should be browned around the edges. Serve hot and enjoy!
This is a favorite cold weather meal at Chez Brochette. The house gets warm from the oven use and everything smells divine. You can lower calories and fat by using ground turkey, low-fat soup, and low-fat cheddar. It's up to you!

That's Easy Baking!

Love, Cookie B.

1 comment:

Lidian said...

What a lovely recipe for Shepherd's Pie! I make SP quite a bit during the winter, but have to make it a Certain Way or else no one likes it...don't know quite how I hit on it originally, but now that's the way we roll...Though I might try the cheese topping on them, that is such a great idea! :)